MA (2000) and PhD (2003), Geography, University of California, Santa Barbara
A.B. (1995), Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Princeton University
Google Scholar Link
Courses Taught: GEOG 101: Earth’s Physical Environment
ENVS/SUSTN 100: Environmental Sciences
GEOG 375: Environmental Hydrology
GEOG 574: Water Resources (Syllabus from Spring 2019)
GEOG 576: Advanced Watershed Analysis (Syllabus from Fall 2021)
GEOG 701: Geographic Thought (graduate students; Syllabus from Fall 2021)
GEOG 710/780: Seminar in Advanced topics in watershed analysis and modeling
Emily Deardorff (MS): Machine learning to predict flow in semi-arid watersheds
Justin Bissell (PhD student): Stream network dynamics and salmon habitat, geospatial modeling of habitat
Camila Abe (PhD student): Water resources in Amazonia
Elena Aguilar (MS), NOAA CESSRST Scholar: Remote sensing and mixed methods for cross-border solid waste mapping and mitigation
Stephany Garcia (MS), NOAA CESSRST Scholar: Remote sensing of water quality, real-time water quality monitoring
Alma Topete (MS): Remote sensing applications in human health and air pollution
Margot Mattson (MS): Water and wetlands in Mexico
Mallorie Honey (MS): Remote sensing of drought in pastures of the Amazon
Ibisia Jack (MS): Mapping plastic using machine learning
William Walker (MS): Agricultural water use and land cover change
4. Kris Taniguchi (2018), Channel erosion in Tijuana, Mexico.
Current position: Scientist, Southern California Coastal Water Research Project
3. Michael Beland (2018). Mapping oil-affected salt marsh vegetation, Louisiana.
Current position: Assistant Professor, Department of Geosciences and Environment, California State University, Los Angeles
2. Napoleon Gudino-Elizondo (CICESE, Thomas Kretzschmar co-supervisor, 2018), Hillslope and gully erosion in Tijuana, Mexico.
Current position: Research faculty, Universidad Autonoma de Baja California (UABC) Ensenada, Mexico.
24. Gabriela Morales (MS), NOAA CESSRST Scholar: Water and agriculture in the Imperial Valley
Current position: Hydrologist, Wood Environmental
23. Benjamin Downing (2021): Channel adjustments to urbanization, Tijuana.
Current position: Field researcher, SIO Center for Western Weather and Water Extremes
22. Effrain (Ye) Mu (2021). Forests and hydroclimate of the Amazon Basin.
Current position: PhD student, UC Santa Barbara
21. Roberts, Sarah (2020). Groundwater change following lining of the All American Canal, Imperial Valley.
Current position: Hydrologist, United States Geological Survey
20. Jones, Kyle (2020, A. Skupin Chair). Monitoring cropping systems in California’s Imperial Valley.
Current position: Vice president of Retail Network Planning, Citi
19. Garrett McGurk (2019), Geochemical fingerprinting to identify sediment sources, Tijuana
Current position: Hydrologist, SIO Center for Western Weather and Water Extremes
16. Maegan Salinas (2017): Opportunities for water conservation in Imperial Valley, California informed by EEFLUX and Landsat EVI.
Current position: Environmental Scientist, California Department of Food and Agriculture
15. Yelena Granovskaya (2017): Mapping agricultural change in the Imperial and Mexicali Valleys, 2002-2014.
Current position: GIS Analyst, San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG)
14. Jason Allen (2017): Evaluating differences in riparian vegetation in semi-arid watersheds of San Diego County.
Current position: Park Ranger, City of San Diego
13. Greg McCormick (2017): Land use impacts on stream water nutrients in American Samoa.
Current position: Staff Scientist, John Wood Group PLC
12. Alex Messina (2012): Mapping drought in the Krishna Basin with remote sensing
Current position: Project scientist, John Wood Group PLC
11. Whitney Seymour (2016): Hydrologic and geologic controls on groundwater recharge along the Mojave River floodplain aquifer.
Current position: Geographer, United States Geological Survey
10. Alex Samarin (2015): Assessing sensitivity and exposure of irrigated agriculture to drought in the Krishna River Basin, India
Current position: GIS Analyst at KTUA Planning and Landscape Architecture
9. Taya Lazootin (2015): Retention and release of stream water and nutrients downstream of an urban center in San Diego County
Current position: Professor of Geography, Mira Costa College and Lecturer, San Diego State University.
8. Kris Taniguchi (2014): Regional Impacts of Urbanization on Stream Channel Geometry
Current position: Project Scientist, Southern California Coastal Water Research Project
7. Raymond Lee (2014): Hydrologic, Climatological, and Biogeochemical Controls on Thermal Structure and Anoxia in Four Hypereutrophic Drinking Water Reservoirs
Current position: Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Plant and Wildlife Sciences, Brigham Young University
6. Cleo Neculae (2011): Key controls of stream temperature in Rock Creek, Oregon [electronic resource] : implications for restoration of riparian vegetation
Current position: Watershed Cleanup Lead and Lecturer, Washington Department of Ecology
5. Rebecca Lesher (2011): Climate change impacts to a high altitude lake in the Indian Himalaya
Current position: Geologist at Oneida Total Integrated Enterprises (OTIE)
4. Emily Perkins (2011): Irrigation controls on atmospheric water vapor, southern India
Current position: Geographer, Western Ecological Research Center, United States Geological Survey (USGS)
3. Heather D’Anna (2010): A spatial-temporal analysis of copper and zinc from antifouling paint in Pier 32 Marina, National City, California
Current position: Wastewater Environmental Specialist, City of Oxnard
2. Shannon Webber-Anzelon (2010): The role of local watersheds on sediment accumulation in the Tijuana Estuary Reserve
Current position: GIS manager, Vista Irrigation District
- Teressa Whittaker (2009): Sources of snowmelt runoff in the Merced River Basin.
Current position: Senior Restoration Ecologist, AECOM
Joey Vink (2022): macroplastic sampling
Riley Barnett (2022): macroplastic sampling
Erin Shives (2021), storm runoff in San Diego. Current position: MS student, Yale University School of the Environment
Dennis Quach (2019), Water quality in San Diego. Current position: Air quality specialist, Bay Area Air Quality Management District
Hannah Carney (2019), Stable isotopes for determining groundwater sources. Current position: PhD Student, University of Wyoming
Nadine Garrison-Barham (2019), Quantification settlement agreement
Kimberly Livers (2018), Dissolved oxygen in the lower San Diego River.