MA (2000) and PhD (2003), Geography, University of California, Santa Barbara
A.B. (1995), Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Princeton University
Google Scholar Link
For appointments, please see available times at this calendar (only accessible from SDSU-based gmail accounts).
Camila Abe (PhD student): Water resources and pasture response to drought in the Brazilian Amazon
Justin Bissell (PhD student): Stream network dynamics and salmon habitat, geospatial modeling of habitat
Stephany Garcia (MS, Co-advisor Dan Sousa), NOAA CESSRST Scholar: Remote and real-time sensing of water quality
Cassandra Huneau (MS): TBD
Stephanie Hurtado-Gonzalez (MS): TBD
Ibisia Jack (MS): Mapping plastic using hyper-resolution UAV imagery and machine learning
Elise Piazza (MS): TBD
Alma Quintero (MS): Remote sensing of air pollution in the Imperial Valley
William Walker (MS): Urbanization and riparian vegetation change
Callie Summerlin (BS, 2024)
4. Kris Taniguchi (2018), Channel erosion in Tijuana, Mexico.
Current position: Scientist, Southern California Coastal Water Research Project
3. Michael Beland (2018). Mapping oil-affected salt marsh vegetation, Louisiana.
Current position: Assistant Professor, Department of Geosciences and Environment, California State University, Los Angeles
2. Napoleon Gudino-Elizondo (CICESE, Thomas Kretzschmar co-supervisor, 2018), Hillslope and gully erosion in Tijuana, Mexico.
Current position: Research faculty, Universidad Autonoma de Baja California (UABC) Ensenada, Mexico.
1. Alex Messina (2016), Sediment dynamics in a coral-reef embayment.
Current position: Senior Scientist, Stormwater Division, John Wood Group PLC
30. Elena Aguilar (MS, co-advisor Dan Sousa), NOAA CESSRST Scholar: Remote sensing of unmanaged plastic waste
29. Mallorie Honey (MS, 2023): Remote sensing of woody vegetation in pastures of the Amazon
28. Margot Mattson (MS, 2023, Co-advisor Dan Sousa): Water and wetlands in Mexico
27. Emily Deardorf (2022): Machine learning to predict flow in semi-arid watersheds.
Current position: Water Resources Data Scientist, Lynker, NOAA National Water Center.
25. Benjamin Downing (2021): Channel adjustments to urbanization, Tijuana.
Current position: Field researcher, SIO Center for Western Weather and Water Extremes
24. Effrain (Ye) Mu (2021). Forests and hydroclimate of the Amazon Basin.
Current position: PhD student, UC Santa Barbara
23. Roberts, Sarah (2020). Groundwater change following lining of the All American Canal, Imperial Valley.
Current position: Hydrologist, United States Geological Survey
22. Jones, Kyle (2020, A. Skupin Chair). Monitoring cropping systems in California’s Imperial Valley.
Current position: Vice president of Retail Network Planning, Citi
21. Luis de la Torre (2019), Solute transport in channelized and natural streams.
Current position: Hydrologist, WSP
20. Garrett McGurk (2019), Geochemical fingerprinting to identify sediment sources, Tijuana
Current position: Hydrologist, SIO Center for Western Weather and Water Extremes
17. Lara Barrett (2018), Parsimonious rainfall-runoff modeling
Current position: Land Use/Environmental Planner, County of San Diego Watershed Protection Program
16. Maegan Salinas (2017): Opportunities for water conservation in Imperial Valley, California informed by EEFLUX and Landsat EVI.
Current position: Environmental Scientist, California Department of Food and Agriculture
15. Yelena Granovskaya (2017): Mapping agricultural change in the Imperial and Mexicali Valleys, 2002-2014.
Current position: GIS Analyst, San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG)
14. Jason Allen (2017): Evaluating differences in riparian vegetation in semi-arid watersheds of San Diego County.
Current position: President, Black Sage Environmental
13. Greg McCormick (2017): Land use impacts on stream water nutrients in American Samoa.
Current position: Staff Scientist, WSP
12. Alex Messina (2012): Mapping drought in the Krishna Basin with remote sensing
Current position: Project scientist, WSP
11. Whitney Seymour (2016): Hydrologic and geologic controls on groundwater recharge along the Mojave River floodplain aquifer.
Current position: Geographer, United States Geological Survey
10. Alex Samarin (2015): Assessing sensitivity and exposure of irrigated agriculture to drought in the Krishna River Basin, India
Current position: GIS Analyst at KTUA Planning and Landscape Architecture
9. Taya Lazootin (2015): Retention and release of stream water and nutrients downstream of an urban center in San Diego County
Current position: Professor of Geography, Mira Costa College and Lecturer, San Diego State University.
8. Kris Taniguchi (2014): Regional Impacts of Urbanization on Stream Channel Geometry
Current position: Project Scientist, Southern California Coastal Water Research Project
7. Raymond Lee (2014): Hydrologic, Climatological, and Biogeochemical Controls on Thermal Structure and Anoxia in Four Hypereutrophic Drinking Water Reservoirs
Current position: Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Plant and Wildlife Sciences, Brigham Young University
6. Cleo Neculae (2011): Key controls of stream temperature in Rock Creek, Oregon [electronic resource] : implications for restoration of riparian vegetation
Current position: Watershed Cleanup Lead and Lecturer, Washington Department of Ecology
5. Rebecca Lesher (2011): Climate change impacts to a high altitude lake in the Indian Himalaya
Current position: Geologist at Oneida Total Integrated Enterprises (OTIE)
4. Emily Perkins (2011): Irrigation controls on atmospheric water vapor, southern India
Current position: Geographer, Western Ecological Research Center, United States Geological Survey (USGS)
3. Heather D’Anna (2010): A spatial-temporal analysis of copper and zinc from antifouling paint in Pier 32 Marina, National City, California
Current position: Wastewater Environmental Specialist, City of Oxnard
2. Shannon Webber-Anzelon (2010): The role of local watersheds on sediment accumulation in the Tijuana Estuary Reserve
Current position: GIS manager, Vista Irrigation District
- Teressa Whittaker (2009): Sources of snowmelt runoff in the Merced River Basin.
Current position: Senior Restoration Ecologist, AECOM
Hargun Kaur (2023): surveys of plastic
Kelsey Durrett (2023): trash inventories: Current position: AECOM
Joey Vink (2022): macroplastic sampling
Riley Barnett (2022): macroplastic sampling
Erin Shives (2021), storm runoff in San Diego. Current position: MS student, Yale University School of the Environment
Dennis Quach (2019), Water quality in San Diego. Current position: Air quality specialist, Bay Area Air Quality Management District
Hannah Carney (2019), Stable isotopes for determining groundwater sources. Current position: PhD Student, University of Wyoming
Nadine Garrison-Barham (2019), Quantification settlement agreement
Kimberly Livers (2018), Dissolved oxygen in the lower San Diego River.